[TR] TR3 oil cooler

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Thu Jun 30 12:22:37 MDT 2011

The ones that screw on in place of the oil filter will send lower
pressure to the cooler than the sandwich plate ones.  The sandwich
plate is before the pressure relief valve and the oil filter side is
after the sandwich plate.  But, if you install the oil filter
replacement one you'll need a remote oil filter unless it has
provision for the oil filter built in.  I like the Canton Mecca
remote ones - 8 micron, no bypass, easy to replace the element (but a
bit messy).

The output from the oil pump can easily exceed 100 psi cold, and some
folks have split coolers with the sandwich plate arrangement - many
others have operated it successfully though.

Tony Drews