[TR] 1958 Works Monte Carlo Rally TR3A Valve Cover Info?

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 09:21:57 MDT 2011

Following up on Don Hiscock's query of 28th June about the 1958 TR3A 'Works'
Rally car. I've had a lengthy phone conversation today with my chum Paul
Richardson (son of Ken) has an extensive photo library of all the works cars
his Dad either drove or master-minded in their preparation. He's checked all
his pix on the car in question and has said:

1. At no time during the cars
rally life with S-T did it have bonnet straps. Cars used at Le Mans in racing
guise were strapped but not the rally cars.
2. The rocker cover is a later
addition. Richardson (Ken) was always anxious to keep weight to a minimum and
the shape of the current cover with its flip oil filler would have almost
certainly been heavier than the normal steel pressing, so no advantage there.

Paul may see if he can do an article on this car for The Vintage Triumph but
it depends on his time, the car's availability and the distance from his home.
Hope this helps?

Jonmac