[TR] Camshaft selections - TRactor Engines

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 23:45:23 MDT 2011

You should contact Larry (through the web site), as he does sell TR2-4 cams
from time to time.  In fact I posted on here the last time he mentioned he
was having a run made, but the response was minimal.

And he does offer a street grind, which "should pull well from 2000 rpm to
6000 rpm".  I didn't ask about idle (since I don't really care), but I'm
guessing it should idle reasonably smooth at 1000 rpm or maybe 1200.

However, even the stock camshaft should pull OK out beyond 5000 rpm.  The
factory redline was not because the engine ran out of cam, but because they
weren't sure it would hold together for the entire warranty period if turned
faster than that.  IOW if you plan to turn over 5k for any length of time,
you should pay particular attention to harmonic dampening, crank
preparation, pushrods, balancing, etc.

FWIW, Larry offers either regrinds on stock cores, or new grinds on blanks
he sources from the UK.  On the regrinds, they have to cut into the shaft
itself in the thicker section near the front.  Haven't heard of anyone
breaking one, but the factory supposedly added that thicker section because
they saw excessive flex, so I opted for a new blank.

I would also strongly recommend an overdrive.

-- Randall