[TR] Brake light - update

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 26 13:20:16 MDT 2011

Here's the latest on my brake light issues:

59 TR3A - needed a brake light switch. Put in a new one from NAPA. Lights come
right on-problem almost solved.
Then noticed one was brighter than the other. This is where I put a jumper on
the bright one and then over to the dim one. Everything was good. Took it out
last weekend, no brake lights. also, checked all the connections, grounds,
etc. Switched the wires in the tail light assembly for every conceivable
combination.

Today's effort:

Took the jumper wire off. Lights work, almost. :o) Did all the switching of
wires (red & green) in the rear. Where it sits right now here's what I have.
The driver side work with the tail lights on and the brake applied. The right
side works with the tail light on, but goes out when the brake pedal is
depressed. Or The brake light works if the tail light is not on. Will go out
if the tail lights are put on when the brake is depressed. Upon observing the
bulb, the same element is coming on for both lights, hence canceling the other
if both applied at the same time. Ground wires appear to be good as the lights
work independently. Both bulbs good. Elements intact, and switched from side
to side where both elements function.

So best case scenario, I have tails and one brake light, or two brake lights,
until I put on the tail lights, then it reverts to two tail lights and one
brake light.

My solution at this point with my exceptional electrical savvy is to not drive
at night where I will not need tail lights. :o)

Any ideas?

Alex Manzo
59 TR3A