[TR] TR Service Literature Needed

Gary Grant 61TR4ever at comcast.net
Sat Jun 25 03:19:45 MDT 2011

Many thanks to those who responded to this request. However, I apparently
took too much for granted and further explanation is needed. To do so, this
is a very brief history/evolution of the TR Service Bulletins starting in
1954.

Starting in 1954 Standard-Triumph issued the bulletins as Service
Information Sheets and the numbering system format was Model/Sequential
Number/Group. For example: Sports/16/R was the 16th bulletin issued under
the R group (brakes) for the TR2. As the Western Zone distributor for S-T,
CAL Sales, Inc. issued their own supplemental bulletins using strictly
sequential numbering starting with number one and ending sometime before
1961.

In 1958 S-T changed their numbering of Service Information Sheets to a
Group/Sequential Number format. Using my requested bulletins as examples:
3/64 and 3/66 would be the 64th and 66th bulletins issued for group 3 (Rear
Axle). The applicable models covered under the SIS would be contained in the
sub-title of the bulletin itself.

Starting is 1961, the various Zone offices would receive the Service
Information Sheets and re-write them. These were only re-written in the
sense that the UK spelling and terms were changed to the more familiar
American spellings and terms (i.e.- trunk vs. boot, or color vs. colour).
The most common of the issued bulletins used the format of T-61-6, with this
example being the 6th bulletin issued in 1961. So far I have identified that
at least 3 zones issued these, being the Eastern, Northeastern and Western
Zones.  There were bulletins issued as S series (sales) or SM series
(Service Memo)in addition the T series.

In 1968 the numbering was revised again when Triumph was acquired by British
Leyand. This numbering system was slightly modified again in 1970 and was
used until the demise of Triumph.

Again, thank to all those that have responded.

Gary
1961 TR4
CT 1547 L