[TR] Side of the Road

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 12:57:19 MDT 2011

> There was a bunch of black junk in the old filter.  Rich was talking
> of
> the horrors of ethanol added to gas ruining all the rubber fuel lines.
> He
> referred to some braided lines that were available and may be the
> solution.
> Anyone know about those or any other fix?

That's old news in CA, we've had "oxygenated" fuel since 1995 or so.  My
opinion, all soft fuel lines should be replaced every 10-15 years whether
they need it or not.  And pretty much any soft fuel line sold in the US
today will stand up to ethanol.

IOW, just go to your FLAPS and pick up some ordinary 1/4" and 5/16" fuel
line.  Don't forget the soft lines at the fuel tank, if your car has them.

I'm also fond of the all-stainless steel hose clamps available from MMC.
The ones usually sold for automotive use advertise that they are SS, but in
fact the screw is cad plated mild steel that will eventually rust.

Another problem, if your AC pump has not been rebuilt recently, is that the
old diaphragms will not stand up to ethanol/MTBE.  Might be worth replacing
as well.  Even though the price is quite a bit higher, I was very pleased
with the quality of the kit from TRF, and it had the shaft seal that is
frequently missing from the other kits.

-- Randall