[TR] Overdrive intermittent

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 15:11:39 MDT 2011

Hate to say this, Scott, but I have had somewhat similar problems.  The
thrust washer inside the planetary carrier had broken and gotten ground up
by the gears, the resulting swarf was interfering with both the operating
valve and the pump "non-return" valve.  My theory is that the operating
valve was jammed on (by a piece of crud under the ball, plus another in the
drain hole in the stem), but the non-return valve was also jammed open
(meaning it couldn't develop enough pressure to move the clutches until
higher rpm).

So my first suggestion would be to drain and inspect the oil.  If it is full
of sparklies, better to tear it down now before things get torn up any
worse.

-- Randall