[TR] BAck again - and with a question

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Thu Jun 16 07:38:50 MDT 2011

I THINK I have it solved- although I'll have to wait for another day in the
90s to be sure.  Again - thanks to all who contributed.  And to answer
Randall's questions, the shield is between carbs and exhaust and the mixture
was set with the engine warm, but not on a particularly hot day.

After going through all the suggestions, I pulled the domes with the car hot
and noticed some fuel trickling into the forward SU.  Turns out I had a bad
float needle valve and seat.  My guess is the car could compensate most of
the time, but, as Randall suggested, high underhood temperatures exacerbated
the problem and caused the car to flood.  John Macartney also hit the nail
on the head. Oh, and while I was at it, I installed an electric pump as the
old one (an original) was well worn.

Andrew Uprichard