[TR] Triumph Open Book

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 05:25:13 MDT 2011

The logo itself first appeared in the late 1940's on the Standard Vanguard
saloon. Opinion seems to be divided on what it actually represents but I
recall it being referred to at the factory as the *Standard Shell" design.
I've heard it referred to as Griffon's Wings as well, but Vauxhall (General
Motors) have used a Griffon on its logo for decades and I can't see how the
Standard design applies to the Vauxhall bird.  Rolls Royce also had a sort of
logo for the Griffon engine which was a development of the Merlin V12. Maybe
one is upside down and the person who drew it up in the first place had had a
good day (or night) with some marijuana or was *high* on some other narcotic?

Jonmac