[TR] TR3 brake pipe source

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 14:36:57 MDT 2011

There are different kinds of "copper".  Certainly ordinary copper tubing,
like that used for water or air lines, is inappropriate.  With usage and
vibration, it can work-harden and become brittle, leading to leaks opening
at the worst possible moment.

However, I suspect Jonmac is referring to a specific copper/nickel/iron
alloy that was invented just for use in automotive braking systems, called
Cunifer.  Cunifer is DOT-approved, and fully legal for use in the US.  I
rather like it myself, and have been slowly converting my TR3 to it.  It
bends easily with your fingers, and is much easier to form a proper flare.
(I found it practically impossible to get a good 'bubble' flare starting
with the plated steel line sold at my FLAPS.)  Moss sells sets of it
(although it's not obvious from their website that they are, in fact,
Cunifer).

The only downside that I have discovered so far is that it is rather more
susceptible to abrasion than the original steel line.  I didn't get one of
the caliper crossover pipes bent right, and the wheel rubbed a hole through
it in just a few weeks driving (without any untoward noises).  Fortunately,
I was barely moving when it started to leak.
http://tinyurl.com/4yc4yf9

-- Randall