[TR] TR4A Gear Lube Recommendations

Ben Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:19:38 MDT 2011

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on the lube to use in my TR4A transmission
w/the electric overdrive.  I rebuilt it with new synchros and it has
about 1500 miles on it.  I started with "normal" GL-5 MT-1 80W90 gear
oil.  It worked well overall, and shifts smoothly in all gears, up and
down, when its cold or warm.  However, if I drive for 30 minutes or more
getting the transmission fully warmed up and make "spirited" shifts,
upshifts from 2nd to 3rd result in some grinding.  All other upshifts
and downshifts are smooth.  I switched to some synthetic blend 75W90
GL-5 MT-1 and it works no better. Maybe a little less balky when cold,
but no better and maybe worse on the hot 2-3 upshifts.

I have a TR8 and use the GM/Pennzoil synchromesh fluid there, but wasn't
sure if the TR4A box w/overdrive would like that.  I'm looking for
advice on if anyone has had the same problem and how they resolved it.
I'm wondering if I shouldn't be going to straight 90 weight oil since it
seems to work worse when the oil is hot and presumably thinner.  People
seem to switch the the GM fluid to resolve cold shift issues so I'm
afraid that may take me the wrong direction here.  My other choice is to
get better at matching engine speed to tranny speed and making slower
shifts.

Thanks, Ben....

--
Ben Zwissler