[TR] Grilling brake shoes - TR2

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 3 03:25:35 MDT 2011

Many years ago when my friends and I were penniless engineering apprentices interested only in motor bikes and girls
we frequently found ourselves with oil or grease sodden brake shoes. We would soak them in petrol and paraffin and then light it.
You could see the grease oozing out and burning in little bubbles. This treatment would be given two or three times and the
brake linings cleaned and roughed up with a file (no worries about asbestos in those days) then reassembled.
ISTR this worked very well. Of course in those days linings were made made mainly of asbestos. Whether modern products
can stand that heat without damage I don’t know.

Of course YMMV,

David Brister
1967 TR4A