[TR] Bleeding the bl--dy brakes - again

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 13:01:13 MDT 2011

> It's apparent that full pressure is being lost by air seeping into the
> system

So that means you get bubbles when you bleed the brakes?

> through the threads of one or more junctions,

Or could be past the seals in the cylinders.  The master cylinder is
particularly suspect, as it is the only place in the system where the
pressure goes below ambient.  In other words, all of the other connections
are always under a very slight positive pressure (basically the weight of
the brake fluid in the line up to the MC).

> and wrapping every thread with
> teflon tape, or something else you might suggest.

I would definitely NOT suggest applying anything to the threads.  The only
place where the threads are actually what seals the brake fluid is at the
brake light switch.

> There is one non-stock junction

Just curious, what kind of junction?  The potential pressure in a hydraulic
brake system is many times higher than what most commonly available fittings
are designed to handle.  If you have used something that is not designed
specifically for braking systems, you may have created a death trap for
yourself.

-- Randall