[TR] TR2 timing question -

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 01:14:29 MDT 2011

> I don't dare use it for a full rotation as I don't know if it
> could hit a valve....

Unless it is really strangely shaped, it's not likely to hit a valve.  Mine
is just a spark plug shell with a headless bolt screwed into it, and it
doesn't hit anything.

> Assuming TDC is good -- Now to see if the chain jumped - is
> it a matter of just looking at the rocker arms and making
> sure they are both fully seated at TDC?

Both valves are closed for most of a stroke either side of TDC on
compression; and both are open at TDC on exhaust; so that won't work.

One way is to back off the adjustment for both valves (set the lash to say
.050" for both), turn to TDC on exhaust, and check how much clearance is
left.  Ideally they should be identical, but a few thousandths one way or
the other is close enough.

-- Randall