[TR] Head studs Q

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 17:14:12 MDT 2011

> Are the head studs for the low port head on my TR2 the same length for
> the later TR3 head?

Yes and no.  The later engines used 4 or 5 different lengths of studs
(depending on vintage); two of which were the same length as the TR2 studs.
But a TR4 set (which is all I could find listed by ARP) is not going to fit
unless you buy several sets and use only the studs you need; or else
convince ARP to assemble a TR2 set.  Obviously they have the parts, but I
could not find individual head studs listed in their catalog.

> also wondering if the ARP are the only way to go

I have had remarkably few problems with original studs over the years.  I
have managed to damage a few by over-torquing (150 ft-lb is too much), but
all of my head gasket problems have eventually been traced to something
else.  The main issue seems to be getting the correct flat washers (which
are harder and smaller than ordinary flat washers and need to be replaced
when they get chewed up); and I also use a set of 'tall' head nuts from
British Frame & Engine (which may not help, but look trick <g>).

-- Randall