[TR] Covering a newly painted car

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 06:49:25 MDT 2011

On 7/26/11 4:37 PM, Wbeech wrote:
> Teriann,
> Did you use the type of shrink-wrap that they seal up boats with for the winter?  Did you use any additional padding over the cover and under the wrap to protect the front of the car from any road gravel?

My assumption, wrong though it might be is that my car cover would
protect the car surface and the wrap would:

1. Hold the car cover in place
2. provide minimal but some rain protection
3. provide a first lay of protection of things being thrown up.

But most importantly keep the car cover in place.

I should mention I had the interior full of stuff and the car cover was
also there to keep the wind from sucking stuff out of the inside of the
car (The hard to was on the TR3 but not the side curtains).

I just used the commercial stretch plastic wrap that adheres to itself.
One problem is that I had to add more wrap about half way there because
some of the first wrap had stretched.  I was unaware of stuff they use
for boats in the winter.  Never seen it used in any of the marinas in
the bay.

I double wrapped the car under two layers.

I guess I could have done as well without wrapping the car in the first
place but it would have been rained upon a few times and the interior
would have been soaked.  And I would have been worried about vandles.

Maybe the wrap was more of a security blanket for me?  But bottom line
is that the car's paint was unharmed and plastic never beat upon bare paint.

Teriann