[TR] Special commemmorative car

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 15:30:15 MDT 2011

Dave
Thank you for your very kind but undeserved compliment and let me say at
the outset that I couldn't agree with you more on this general theme!
Frankly, I too don't see the point in this particular MG limited run project
either - though the people that are doing it no doubt hope to make money at
it. And also, I'd be the first to 'oppose' a similar move to resurrect a TR6
with anyone's engine or gearbox in it.
That said, I'm sure there will always
be people who will happily stump up the money to buy one of these MGBGT
creations, just as much as there are those who pay even more for an AC Cobra
lookalike and all the other ad nauseams.
Equally, on the plus side of things,
I'm delighted for the sake of the hobby that British Motor Heritage still has
the capability to crank out new (and better) bodies for Spridgets, B's and
TR6's on the original tooling. As the good surviving cars get higher and
higher in price on both sides of the pond and start price themselves out of
reach, all that is left for those who still aspire to an 'old car' are the
basket cases where the body is all but gone and only the engine, gearbox and
tranny are salvageable. That's where many of us are at in the UK, so buying a
BMH replica body can and does bring an old rustbucket back to life, more or
less "as it was." Sure, such an exercise costs a wad of money but some people
have the financial wherewithal to do it and if it somehow rescues something
that might soon morph into a washing machine, that has to be a plus. So in
summary, I'm all for British Motor Heritage continuing with what they do well
in enabling the
 cars we love to have a rebirth - but not with modern engines and all that
goes with them. Needless to say, my first post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Cheers, John