[TR] TR3A Overheating

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 14 12:08:37 MDT 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:05:08 am David Willett and Carol Gray wrote:
> During the current spell of 85F + weather recently I took my recently
> rebuilt 3A out for its first experience of hot weather. It duly duly
> proceeded to stall whenever I let the revs drop too low when pulling.
> I had to let it sit and cool for five or ten minutes each time before
> it would start again.
>
>   I assume this was due to overheating (temp gauge was showing 200F),
> and my next move has to involve installing an electric fan?
>
>   Dave
Dave,

I have been driving both my 3 and 4 in 85 + days recently and they never get
much above 185 unless I am stuck in traffic for more than 5 minutes or up a
real long hill. Even then just above the 185 mark.

Since your engine is rebuilt I am guessing the water jacket is clear of gunk.
So it could be your radiator, coolant, water pump or thermostat. I use a 50/50
mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

Both my 3 and 4 use the stock TR4 4 bladed fan.

Bob