[TR] Paint Fisheye

Ben Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 08:02:40 MDT 2011

Dave,

I just repainted all the interior plastic dash and trim pieces on my
TR8.  I know that ArmorAll had been applied in the past (I did it) and
ArmorAll is notorious for causing fisheye.  I got similar advice from
the paint shop - wash with Dawn and scuff the surfaces (for the plastic
I used ScotchBrite pads).  The other direction he gave was not to use
any cloth that had been washed or dried with fabric softener.  He said
that fabric softener in the cloth will contaminate the surface and cause
fisheye.

For plastic he said not to use any solvents as that would soften the
plastic and could cause the contaminants to be permanently absorbed.

I got good results after following the advice with one exception.   I
used the Dawn but it didn't seem to be getting the job done - I was
still getting beading on the surface -  I switched to using detergent
(not solvent) based "degreaser" (from Sam's Club) straight from the
bottle and then rinsing.  I still got limited beading after that, but
went ahead and had not problem.

Ben....

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler at gmail.com