[TR] question on magnesium wheels

McGaheyRx at aol.com McGaheyRx at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 07:35:18 MDT 2011

Cosmo -

I'm tempted to say you are completely correct and anybody with a set of
American Racing Mg Libres should get rid of them immediately and I will be
bravely take them - but you are dead wrong on a couple of points

- it is very easy to tell the difference between Mg and Al, once you are
familiar with both. A Mg wheel is incredibly light compared to an Al wheel of
 the same size and bare Mg has a very different color and surface sheen
compared  to Al. It is ridiculous to suggest that anybody who has seen both
can't  tell the difference.

- while incredibly, dangerously, and explosively flammable once  ignited, a
solid Mg object absolutely cannot be ignited by incidental contact  with a
spark or open flame. Top drag racers used to use Mg manifolds -  incredibly
dangerous once ignited, but not that easy to ignite. A Mg wheel is
extremely unlikely to ignite unless it is broken and the tire and car around it  are
consumed with flame first.

- you are correct that Mg wheels were likely last made in the 60s - they
are extremely rare and very valuable now - I would not trust them for
competition use, due to their age and possibility of cracks, but (properly
restored) they are uniquely attractive and are very much sought-after period
pieces.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

In a message dated 7/9/2011 8:31:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,