[TR] question on magnesium wheels

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:11:57 MDT 2011

First off most "mag" wheels are aluminum not magnesium.  Second, no they
cannot be safely repaired regardless of which material they are made from.
There are many companies that do repair these wheels, but I can say with
some authority that they will not be as strong as they were originally.  For
normal street use, you might be ok, but you are taking a great risk in using
repaired alloy wheels.  Most racing organizations specifically ban repairs
to alloy wheels.   About all they are really good for is the set of wheels
that you put on after you get your car to the show field and take off before
you leave the show field.