[TR] valve timing update

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Tue Jul 5 22:56:57 MDT 2011

Normally you would measure when the tappet has moved the pushrod
upwards 0.050" (or the amount of movement the cam builder
specifies).  I have no idea of the cam timing of the stock cam, but
the cam card normally gives an opening degree measurement, a
centerline of the lobe measurement and a closing degree
measurement.  The opening and closing measurements are at a certain
amount of lift from fully closed (fully downward).  I turn the cam to
where it is opened the correct amount, set the crankshaft to the
"opening" degree measurement and figure out the closest alignment of
chain and cam sprocket for that, and bolt the sprocket on the
cam..  I then rotate the crank two turns to get the camshaft back in
that position to verify that I got it right the first time.  Then I
check the closing event to see if it's close to what the cam card
says.  If it's off by more than a few degrees, I adjust the opening
event to split the difference.  That gets the centerline of the lobe
where you want it.

Hopefully someone will pipe up with the settings for your cam and we
can get you going.

Cheers, Tony Drews