[TR] Battery Drain

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 05:50:41 MST 2011

Sam,

It takes a fair amount of current to light up a test light.  How fast does
your battery drain to flat?

As usual, Randall is correct that the test light illuminating for a short
time then going dark does suggest charging of a capacitor.  And it is a
pretty big one!  Lets say that it takes 50mA to light your lamp, and it
lights for about 1/2 second.  That equates to 0.1 coulomb.  in capacitance,
this is 0.1 coulomb/12v = 8333 microfarads.  A reasonably large capacitor.

So, it may be the "unseen" drain, the one that is not enough to illuminate
the test lamp, that is killing your battery.  When I had this problem, I
placed an ammeter between a battery lead and the battery (engine not
running), then pulled fuses until it dropped to zero.  From there I traced
it further down the line until I got the individual device.

In one case, with my 1966 TR4A, pulling all the fuses changed nothing.  I
eventually got the the mechanical regulator as the source of a drain of 10's
of mA.  I blew all the dust out of the device especially in the back and
from between the contacts.  That fixed it.  I did not do more that pull all
the leads, and blow a jet of air throughout!  You don't have such a
regulator, but I suppose a fault in your alternator's regulator could do it.

You can hook up the ammeter, measure the mA of drain, then remove the ign
warning light lead (if present), and see if the mA changes.  If it does not
drop to about 1mA (which may be about normal), then remove the main lead
from the alternator either at the alternator, or at the other end of that
big lead.

-Tony