[TR] Flywheel decision for mildely improved motor w/89mm pistons, electronic ignition, 270 duration cam, HS6 on 4A manifold and exhaust, etc

Dan Cronin adcronin at mi.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 18:10:22 MST 2011

1/26
I have two possible flywheel options to sort out and thought that the list might help in that regard, especially those who are (have) running lighter components.  Have a lightened steel post 60k flywheel at 16#  and will be using a lightened ring gear at 2#,  Luk diaphragm pressure plate 10#,  McLeoud clutch disk at 3#,  and flywheel/PP attaching hardware at just under 1#  for a total weight behind the crank of 32#  with this combination.  The other option is a Fidanze AL flywheel at 11#,  and standard ring gear at 3#  with same ARP attaching hardware, PP and clutch disk for a total weight with this arrangement of 28#.   There isn't much weight difference (though if I used the lightened ring gear on the AL wheel it would make the total 27#)  between the two combinations, but I am told that reduction in rotating mass behind the flywheel can make a disportinant difference in take off.................obviously both conbinations are at least 15 to 20# lighter than the original TR2-3B setup.  Thoughts, recomendations, comments, etc
Thanks,
Dan