[TR] cam end float

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 11:17:50 MST 2011

I'm assembling my tr-3 engine and don't understand this problem.  I've put on
the front plate, inserted the cam and bolted down the front cam bearing only to
find I have at least 1/4 inch of end play.  This is the same cam and front
bearing i took off the engine.  In looking down the tappet holes it seems the
cam lobes don't line up "centered" on the holes when the cam is pushed all the
way back but they do line up when pushed farther forward.  Leading me to wonder
if there's a spacer or something at the rear of the engine.  The machinist had
already installed the end cap/plug at the rear of the block so i can't see in
there to see if anything is missing.  I see one of the cam bearings has a set
screw............but I assumed the front bearing controls the end float not the
bearing set screw.

any suggestions?

gary n.