[TR] [British-cars] Lucas Starter Squeal

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 12:49:21 MST 2011

> Sorry, I meant to mention that I did remove the starter and
> had it rebuilt,
> he went completely through it and pronounced it good.

Mine had been, too.

Part of the problem is that the starter motor is a 4-pole design.  If one of
the brushes is not making good contact, the motor will still run just fine
with no load, on the other pair of brushes.  But it won't be strong enough
to crank the motor once it builds compression, and will stall out while
sucking lots and lots of current through the wires and solenoid, enough to
pull down the voltage of even a healthy battery.

Obviously you can try replacing the solenoid; but based on my experiences I
still think the starter (or possibly one of the ground straps) is more
likely.

-- Randall