[TR] Wheel wobble/ Bearing race Cups?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 20:40:30 MST 2011

> Not sure you have this capability, but mounting the hub in a
> lathe and
> checking with a run out gauge would tell you.

Just curious, Alex, how would you mount the hub in a lathe?

That was my first thought as well, but I couldn't think of any way of
mounting the hub that wouldn't potentially introduce more error, short of
turning a bearing-shaped mandrel.  Since I already had the bearings and
spindle to fit, that seemed the most accurate method to me.

Cosmo wrote:
> BUT I questioned this method because if the hub's Bearing
> Race Cups are NOT
> mounted into the hub parallel, then I feel that you will be getting a
> reading of wobble; when the hub unit, it self, doesen't have
> a wobble or
> warpness at all.

My feeling is that, once you have identified a problem hub, the way to check
for a bearing race installation problem is to remove the races, carefully
check the surfaces, then carefully install either new races or the old
races.  If there was an issue with a burr or piece of dirt holding a race in
the wrong position, you should be able to find and correct it.

Of course you can try just tapping the race deeper into the hub on the
theory that it wasn't installed fully the first time.  But as long as the
hub has been installed and driven, I feel it is very unlikely that having a
race not fully seated is the issue.  The forces applied during cornering are
enough to seat the races against their seats, if they weren't before (which
is the reason it pays to recheck the clearances after driving a few weeks).

-- Randall