[TR] Wiper Motor Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jan 10 19:12:01 MST 2011

> I hook up the positive (+) to terminal 2, the negative  (-) to the "E"
> terminal.

The connection to 'E' is required only for the park function.  The motor
should run continuously with power connected only between 1 and 2.  Polarity
does not matter.

> This should create an attraction between the positively charged parts
> (terminals, field coil, armature, brushes, commutator) and the
> negatively charged housing.

It's considerably more complicated than that.

> Any ideas?  I suspect I am shorting somewhere, or the power source
> isn't strong enough to make it run.

What are you using for a power source?  (I'm sorry, "AC to DC converter"
doesn't tell me much.)  The wiper motor takes several amps to make it run,
especially if the bearings are a bit stiff or you have the wiper mechanism
connected, while most common "wall wart" type supplies will only deliver a
few tenths of an amp.

Best way forward, IMO, would be to measure the voltage with the motor
connected.  DMM (Digital Multi Meter) are so cheap these days that there is
simply no excuse not to own one.  Harbor Freight usually has at least one on
sale for under $5.  But failing that, just connecting a 12v test light (or
any 12v light bulb) will at least let you know if lack of voltage is the
problem.

-- Randall