[TR] The Orchestra (actual Lucas and possibly Triumph content)

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 16:46:01 MST 2011

Hope this little story amuses you as much as it did me when I heard it earlier
today.
Had a phone call from one of my contemporaries who I worked with in the Export
Department at Coventry in the '60's. Like me, Pete is now retired and lives in
the University city of Oxford. This last weekend, he and his wife were given
free tickets to something called "An Evening of Alternative Music" performed by
a number of students of The Oxford Union. Taking their seats before the
performance, they noticed the 'orchestra' comprised two large drum and cymbal
sets, four trombones, a harp, tubular chimes and - wait for it, six Lucas
windtone car horns (of the type fitted to sidescreen TR's) wired into three
separate pairs and facing three microphones. Enormous speakers were scattered
around the stage and auditorium and all plugged in to a massive amplifier.
Presently, the performance got underway and for 45 vminutes the audience
suffered an onslaught of horrendous and nightmarish sound.
Came the interval and as members of the audience started to recover and make a
dash for the doors, Pete saw an old man several rows in front stagger to his
feet and wave his walking stick in the air to which was attached a freshly
laundered white handkerchief. Grabbing his equally ancient wife and shoving her
in front of him to one of the gangways, all that anyone could hear was the old
man shouting, "Okay, okay, we surrender!"

Jonmac