[TR] Valve Seals

Brian Harlan brianharlan at scrtc.com
Sun Feb 27 07:53:01 MST 2011

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting to this list. Just a little introduction of myself:
My name is Brian Harlan, live in Munfordville (south-central Kentucky),
I bought a 68 Spit Mk 3 last fall to restore, I have also acquired a 70
Spit Mk3 parts car. Currently, I am rebuilding the engine of the 68 (FE
series). Here's my question:

What's the deal with seals on the valve stems? The head off of the 68
had no seals. The head off of the 70 doesn't either. Neither my Haynes,
nor my Bentley shop manuals mention them, but VB lists them with their
valve train rebuild listings. I ordered a set along with the valves,
valve guides, springs, etc., but now that I am at the point of
re-assembling the head, I am questioning the need for them. They are
basically rubber O-rings, but there is no groove on the valve stem to
hold them. Anybody have a suggestion to use them or not. Were they
original on the FE series engines? Were they a later addition? Anybody
have experience with this type, if so, what do you recommend?

Thanks for any help provided,
Brian