[TR] TR4 Front suspension replacement early vs late commission #'s

Randy and Valerie DeRuiter deruiterville at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:06:32 MST 2011

Peter-

Just my opinion, but since you are working with a later commission number I would rebuild using the later style suspension components as well.  This would gain you a suspension with 3 degress of castor which will be an improvement.  Also, the later frame is meant to use the later steering rack, so you would have no unforeseen issues in marrying a later steering rack with the later suspension.

You didn't say what parts you need, but if you are replacing lower trunnions anyway then going with the later style is not that difficult.  The verticle links, spring pan, lower control arms are identical.  You would need later style upper control arms, but they are very common since they were used through the TR6.  To be safe, you may want to source steering arms for the appropriate commission number - slightly more time consuming but they are also available pretty easily in my opinon.

Regards,
Randy
64 TR4
59 TR3A in restoration