[TR] TR4 radiator Progrees report

Jim Vassiliadis diggle at clear.net.nz
Sat Feb 5 14:52:37 MST 2011

Thankyou for the comments on electric fans and radiators a few months ago.
I have had my 1962 TR4 radiator cored.

I had the crank hole put back mainly because  a non standard radiator would
have annoyed me.
It was not cheap to have the radiator recored with the hole, not an easy
job.
Its probably lost about 15% of its cooling, 4 tubes out of about 25, so I
decided to install a thermostatically controlled electric fan.
I can only fit a 10" fan due to the crank hole, so have purchased one that
pushes through 1000CFM.
Th supplier told me to install it on the engine side of the radiator.
I have removed the 12" 6 fin plastic fan I was running but would have to
also remove the fan hub extension to allow enough clearance for the electric
fan.

My motor was reconditioned about 30years and 20,000 miles ago. There is no
mention of engine balancing on the receipts.
I have done a bit of research on the internet but can't decide whether
removing the fan hub extension will upset the motor or whether the plastic
fan had already done that.

Jim Vassiliadis