[TR] 63 TR 4 engine red

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 18:07:31 MST 2011

Belgium, Malta, Israel, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, India,
Phillipines, Peru, Chile, Malaysia and a short-lived joint venture with Paykan
in Iran.

Jonmac

http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk
<rsuncloud at aol.com>
"triumphs at autox.team.net" <triumphs at autox.team.net>; Randall
<TR3driver at ca.rr.com>
>Sent: Saturday, 31 December 2011, 23:33
>Subject: Re:
[TR] 63 TR 4 engine red

>Twelve OTHER overseas???????
>
>Sent from my iPad
>
>On Dec 31, 2011, at 11:42 AM, John Macartney
<flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> Engines that failed for whatever
reason on the two 'run' dynos after
>leaving
>> engine assembly and found to
be defective were stripped of their
>ancillaries
>> and scrapped. Simply, the
cost of "teardown, investigate and rectify"
>exceeded
>> the raw material and
direct labour cost of producing another new unit.
>> Engines
>> returned to
the factory by the global dealer network for reconditioning
>were
>> rebuilt
by a Standard-Triumph subsidiary called Beans Industries. They were
>> always
painted a less than attractive blue and took the form of a short or
>> long
motor - i.e. with or without a cylinder head and valve cover but
>devoid
>> of
other equipment. The engine number was completely different from normal

production numbers and always had an 'R' as the leading prefix to indicate

"reconditioned" The famous 'Gold Star' engine was a slightly uprated
>Standard
>> (Triumph) Ten and used the surplus paint from the Ferguson Grey and Gold
>units
>> from 1956 onwards - and that's because the Purchasing Dept couldn't
get out
>of
>> its supply contract with Pinchin & Johnson. The red engine
referred to by
>> Darren might have come out of Engineering for some obscure
reason but I
>doubt
>> the company ever used red in post-war production, at
least in the UK. The
>> twelve other overseas assembly plants
>> might have
done something completely different?

>> Jonmac

http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk/

________________________________

owned this Triumph from  new

>> always factory
red.

>>> One theory I've heard is that re-worked engines (those
>> found
defective in
>>> some manner and repaired by the factory before delivery)

were painted red.

--

http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive