[TR] Just want to be sure you guys all know the words tonight...

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Sat Dec 31 16:49:20 MST 2011

OK, Andrew and "Lang may yer lum reek."
Bill

Bill MacKennan Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS30766L  "Tarbaby"
www.triumphowners.com/1566

-----Original Message-----
From: triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net
[mailto:triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:00 PM
To: 'Triumph List'; 6pack at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Just want to be sure you guys all know the words
tonight...

I spent 5 years at medical school in Edinburgh, Scotland, where New Year is
known as Hogmanay and people do daft things like "first footing" - knock on
the door of a stranger's house and offer him a piece of coal.  Tradition
dictates the owner will decline the coal, but instead offer you a drink of
Scotch - either neat or with a little water.

Also in Edinburgh there is an intersection of two streets - The Royal Mile
and the Bridges, where young women traditionally kiss police officers at
midnight.  I have never seen so many cops:  of course, many, like me, were
students who just happened to have police costumes......

Happy Hogmanay to all.  And, as the Irish say - slainte (cheers !)

Andrew Uprichard