[TR] 63 TR 4 engine red

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 12:42:09 MST 2011

Engines that failed for whatever reason on the two 'run' dynos after leaving
engine assembly and found to be defective were stripped of their ancillaries
and scrapped. Simply, the cost of "teardown, investigate and rectify" exceeded
the raw material and direct labour cost of producing another new unit.
Engines
returned to the factory by the global dealer network for reconditioning were
rebuilt by a Standard-Triumph subsidiary called Beans Industries. They were
always painted a less than attractive blue and took the form of a short or
long motor - i.e. with or without a cylinder head and valve cover but devoid
of other equipment. The engine number was completely different from normal
production numbers and always had an 'R' as the leading prefix to indicate
"reconditioned" The famous 'Gold Star' engine was a slightly uprated Standard
(Triumph) Ten and used the surplus paint from the Ferguson Grey and Gold units
from 1956 onwards - and that's because the Purchasing Dept couldn't get out of
its supply contract with Pinchin & Johnson. The red engine referred to by
Darren might have come out of Engineering for some obscure reason but I doubt
the company ever used red in post-war production, at least in the UK. The
twelve other overseas assembly plants
 might have done something completely different?

Jonmac
http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk/