[TR] 5 speed conversions

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 12:00:28 MST 2011

i think Herman does a really good job and recomend you buy his.
but for the
challenge i made my own conversion using a bell housing i sourced from
Australia. i did consider machining it out of billet at one point, but that
would be just dumb!!!
i built one for me and one for a friend.
we just took
the junkyard W58 and did nothing more than change the front and rear oil seals
and put new oil in.
we left the doghouse out of the car till we could take a
run to hear if there where significant noise problems. there where non. these
W58's seem very hardy.
my thought was with the trany only costing +/-150.00 i
could buy 4 or more for the cost of a rebuild.
so far both cars have no
problems.
i did not think a 600.00 rebuild was worth it.
Frank