[TR] 5 speed conversions

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 21:16:44 MST 2011

The HVDA conversion was a no brainer decision and implementation for me.
About two weeks before getting the kit, per Herman's instructions, I ordered
the tranny from a place in Orange County and had it delivered to Herman's
house. Fully rebuilt with a 12 month guarantee.

Luckily I live about 250 miles from Herman, so I took the drive into the
mountains (it was snowing) where he lives and low and behold there was the
conversion kit with the rebuilt Toyota tranny already mounted to the kit.
Herman gave me personal instructions on what to look out for. The kit has
everything needed, including the clutch disk. An hour or so later I was on
my way.

The difference having a 5 speed is amazing. It feels solid. The clutch and
shift pattern are a little different, but you get use to it fairly quickly.
The clutch is not as sensitive as the old 4-speed, but still very
predictable. The "H" pattern is not parallel with 1st and 3rd being wider
from each other than 2nd and 4th are, if that makes sense to anybody, so
going from 5th to 4th took some practice. No problem now.

So, it was $1600 for the HVDA kit, and another $900 for the rebuilt tranny.
That's about the same as a rebuilt overdrive unit from Quantum Mechanics.
I'll take the 5-speed.

Johnnie
67 TR4A