[TR] ring gap ect.

Andrew S. Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 12:52:31 MST 2011

 I've done maybe a half-dozen rebuilds over the years, including two Volvo
B-18s and several Triumphs. The only time I ever had to file a ring for proper
gap was last summer. My son and I were building a new EA81 engine for his '81
Subaru, and we'd picked up an "abandoned" rebuild from a machine shop (all
machine work done and all new parts there; just needed assembly). I had to
file ONE ring so that its piston would fit into the cylinder. Near as we could
tell, it was just that one odd ring, as everything else checked out fine and
no other rings needed to be touched! (Once together, that engine ran like a
bear until the final drive in the transmission self-destructed nine months
later! Actually, the engine's still fine....)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us