[TR] blown headgasket without milky coolant or oil?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 12:18:52 MST 2011

> I'd have the head checked and not worry about the old gasket.

I agree.  It's not always apparent where it was leaking.

But be sure to check the liner protrusion on both sides.  Two engines in a
row now (for me) have had the top of the block not quite square to the liner
bores, with the result that the protrusion appears to be adequate if
measured on one side, inadequate if measured on the other side.  I chased
leaking head gaskets for a long time before I figured that one out!

The "right" way to fix this problem, if you have it, is to have the block
re-machined or find another block.  I didn't want to do that, so I tried
this approach instead:
http://tinyurl.com/3m2tzp3

It was originally intended as a temporary fix, but since it never failed, it
became kind of permanent.  I even reused the gasket once and no leaks.

-- Randall