[TR] TRs at Auction

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 06:23:33 MST 2011

One feature of Standard-Triumph's Swiss importer was that he had a true
penchant for all TR models and followed a policy of intentionally restricting
supply to force up prices. Equally, he tended to sell his 'rationed' cars only
to people he knew and who were wealthy. That latter criteria applies to quite
a number of residents in Switzerland anyway so it's a bit of a no-brainer. Of
course, we don't know what happened to the cars in the interim. However, it
was a widely known fact among UK manufacturers that many 'desirable' cars
exported to Switzerland had an almost zero level of warranty claims, whereas
other more popular makes like S-T's saloon cars and also for BMC and Rootes
Group had a normal warranty claim level. This situation suggests the
'collector' cars now coming on the market originate from many different
private collections and their use when new, was either minimal or zero, in
terms of component failure.
I remember when the TR5 first appeared, that we
sold probably 30 of them out of the London showroom over a few months to a
small group of Swiss businessmen (all posing as individuals) on the Personal
Export scheme which they immediately went on to re-sell to Swiss residents at
very inflated prices. That initiative on our part as 'hungry car salesmen' saw
the importer flying to the UK and laying down the law in Coventry about what
he called "territorial infringement." OK, he always got a 2.5% infringement
commission when we sold any car into his market - but he was making a lot more
%'s than just 2.5 doing things *his* way.. However, with that embargo imposed
from on high, the businessmen continued to call and instead of writing
Switzerland as the destination market, we used France, Germany, Austria and
Italy instead and the importers in those countries got 2.5% for a car that
never went near them! Eventually, it got just too awkward with the names of
 people buying up to six cars a year and again, we got our knuckles rapped. As
I recall, all cars in the early stages were Valencia Blue / Tan with no
overdrive and 'rattly' Rostyle covers. Any more out there coming for auction?
Maybe ex-London Showroom "fruits of our sales."

Jonmac

www.standard-triumph-books.co.uk/