[TR] tire pressures

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Wed Aug 31 01:04:31 MDT 2011

I play with the pressures to get the balance of the car to my
liking.  Now, mine is a race car with vintage racing tires so the
pressures aren't applicable to the street very much, but I found that
if I dropped the rear pressures I could get the car to corner with a
little bit of oversteer which can be fun and fast.  The normal
"higher in the rear, lower in the front" seems to induce understeer
in my experience.  I dislike understeer intensely, so play with the
pressures in my toy cars to where that isn't a problem.  Now my VAN,
I want certainly DO want to have understeer.

FWIW, I run 25 front and 23 rear with Hoosier Speedsters (cold
pressures).  If I'm too sideways I'll bump it up to 23.5 rear.  When
I ran Toyo Proxes they liked 38 to 40 PSI.  Street tires seem to have
"floppy" sidewalls, so higher pressure to a point gives more crisp
handling.  I tend to run my street tires near the max rated pressure
imprinted on the sidewall of the tire.

Tony