[TR] Head Gasket Decision Time

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 15:55:18 MDT 2011

Okay.  Don't think archives are going to help with this one.
Blew a headgasket last season after 50k miles.  Replaced it, blew it again within 2k.
This time I had the head shaved (yep, it was indeed warped) and sourced a gasket from Gasketworks.  It came imprinted "TR4."  Don't think that makes a difference since the holes lined up.
But...also asked for the rings to superglue around the chambers since one of my liners is no longer proud.  Installed it all. Reassembled everything, and poured coolant in.  Now have a steady stream of coolant coming from underneath the manifold.  Can't see it, but can't remember a freeze plug there, so conclude it's coming from the head/block because of a poor seal.
The gasket is not the usual type.  It's a flat sheet of copper.  And unlike Randall's fix, the rings were a thin band of steel.  So, ....
How likely is it that the block is warped too, or is it that the rings should be copper like Randall's so there's more compressability there.
Trying to figure out whether I just give up and pull the engine to break it all down and take to the machine shop, or whether I should mirror Randall's fix with the stock gasket and make my own rings to superglue on...out of copper this time.
Thoughts?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire