[TR] Reupholstery vrs Seat Covers

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 26 06:43:06 MDT 2011

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 06:50:22 pm P Caffrey wrote:
> Hi List,
> Has anyone opted for seat covers over reupholstery?  Are the seat
> cover
> packages from places like Moss worthwhile?
> The driver's side seat on my
> TR is in need of repair.  However, I'm not sure
> if I should go with seat
> covers or have it reupholstered....The nice thing
> about the seat is that it's
> "broken-in" like my favorite TV/reading chair.  With an
> upholstery job, I'll
> be sitting on a lot of new foam.
> Thank you for any advice.
> Pat
> TR4A, 67
> 1CTC/72746-L

Pat,

I to have gone both routes.

The seats on my 3 were reupholstered by my dad way back in 92. He took the
original covers to use as patterns. He added some upgrades to insure
comfortable ride.

They are still the same almost 20 years later.

He was a master upholsterer for over 50 years.

By the time my 4 and 6 came along my father was no longer with us but I used
some of his knowledge to take the covers offered by Moss for my 4 to make them
fit and feel similar to my 3.

I did the same with my recently completed 72 6. The covers came from Skinners
in the UK but, using some of the same techniques my dad used on the 3, I now
have a great fitting seat that should last for the rest of my life for sure.

Bob