[TR] tr3 Alternator Conversion Kit

Randy and Valerie DeRuiter deruiterville at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:51:55 MDT 2011

George-

Someone else on the list may correct me, but I believe with the one wire setup
you will lose the ability to have the generator/alternator light - so if there
is a charging failure you won't get anything on the dashboard to let you
know.

A common alternator people have used, and what I have on my TR4 is a Delco
10si alternator - that typically gives you the '3 wire' capability to use the
warning light.

The 10si alternator is a fairly tight fit on a TR3A, but I know people have
used them - for my 3A project however, I'm using a much smaller NipponDenso
alternator - you can get a 3 wire, 40 amp alternator which works well.  The
only complication I had was the alternator was set up for a thin fan belt - I
had a friend with a lathe modify an original pulley for use with the Denso
version (same 15 mm shaft) so I can use a thick belt if I wish.

Regards,
Randy
64 TR4
59 TR3A