[TR] Tenax pegs - TR3

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Thu Aug 25 07:53:37 MDT 2011

Found something I didn't check when I was very early in the project.

The chrome windshield frame for the TR3 has 10 Tenax pegs - 10-32 threading.
The two outermost holes on the frame I had re-chromed in 2001 (yes 2001) are
stripped.  In fact there is no threading in the hole at all.

What is the fix?

I can't really braze/re-drill/tap as that would ruin the chrome.

I also don't want to be a DPO and super-glue them.

Can I use something like JB-Weld then re-drill/tap or would that simply pull
out since there really isn't anything for it to grip to.

Or, are there replacement pegs with a larger (12-28) fastener that would
allow for re-tapping the hole?

There are sleeves available with 'x' inside thread and 'y' outer.  But I am
not sure how small or what combinations might be available.  I will be near
Fastenal this afternoon and I will look into that.

There is also the option of replacing them with the aluminum windshield type
tenax peg but that would require drilling all the way through the frame and
having something visible on the inside.  (not particularly my #1 solution -
more like last resort)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Carl