[TR] re dash vinyl appl.

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Thu Aug 25 06:15:46 MDT 2011

Gary - As others have said - use a contact adhesive with some adjustment
time.  Center out is good - but I would recommend starting with the section
between the center hole and cubby box.  In other words leave the large flat
section (speed/tach side) to last.   Don't over cut out the panel/cubby
holes - leave lots of extra and cut/slice the fold-overs fairly small -
especially where you are working around the corners.   The drier can be used
to warm it up but - unless you are in the far north - just lay it outside in
the sun first to get it extremely pliable - and somewhat stretchable.   Work
slowly.   Don't apply the adhesive on the whole dash at once - about 6-8" at
a time.  Spray on worked real good for me (I think it was 3M) as you can
lift up the 'junction' and apply more - let it flash off a bit and away you
go again.

About cutting the corner cutting/slicing - Do not cut all the way to the
panel; stop just a little more than the thickness of the panel away so that
when you fold it over the slice is completely behind the panel.   I was told
that if you cut it 'short' - with time the slice may split due to shrinkage
and be visible on the facing.   Try to cut at 90degrees to the edge you are
folding over.   On outside corners this means that the flap is \  / shape;
inside corners /  \; trimming off any overlap.

When cutting out the center panel and cubby hole - be sure that the cut is
completely rounded - don't have any   \_ type corners and definitely don't
have any \-- overcuts.  When you stretch the vinyl to shape - it will
tear/split - perhaps too much to compensate for.

The outside corners where the dash is visible when the doors are open can
also be a bear to stretch/shape.   Be sure to leave ample material to go
over the front 'edge' and reach to the back edge before folding over.   The
cut/slice can't come around from the back as it will be visible when the
door is open.

Did I say work slowly...  don't be impatient.

The alternative is to pay $100-125 and have an upholstery shop to do it.
If I had ruined the second attempt - that was my next step.   I had extra
vinyl but if you only have the one piece that will fit the dash you may want
to seriously consider this alternative.   Matching vinyl is nearly
impossible.

Carl