[TR] TR-3B Head Replacement (John Walker)

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 19:04:32 MDT 2011

> Clearly Randall's experience on two separate motors, with
> uneven liners, shows
> this to be a robust repair. I am surprised though that it
> doesn't impair the
> sealing of the gasket around the nearby coolant ports.

A few points that may explain why I've never had any trouble with coolant
leaks at the head gasket:

1) The coolant is under far less pressure (and temperature) than the
combustion chamber.

2) The wire size (which BTW was 26 AWG, not 20) is only a few thousandths
thicker than the folded copper layer that it is next to.

3) The composite head gasket compresses quite a bit when installed.  Just
the measured difference between new and used is around .010-.015", but I
believe it compresses further when clamped (and springs back when removed).
Those fine thread studs and 100 ft-lb's of torque provide a LOT of clamping
force.

-- Randall