[TR] TR4A - Engine LIves!!! Then not so much..

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 10:34:53 MDT 2011

> Even with
> this super-lean configuration, the plugs for cylinders 1 and 2 were
> carbon-covered indicating RICHNESS???

There are several possibilities, but my first thought would be fuel level in
the float bowl too high (so fuel is running out of the jet and down the carb
throat); caused perhaps by crud caught in the float valve, a failed float
(ISTR original HS6 floats were not ethanol-resistant), or fuel pressure too
high.

> not get the 30 psi I got before running the engine; now the
> best I get is
> roughly 12 psi.

Did you check the oil for fuel contamination?  Is it possible the battery is
somewhat discharged now (from your previous efforts) and hence does not spin
the engine as fast?

> 3. Finally, the damned engine shakes like a disco king with
> Parkinson's
> disease.

Most likely indicates that it is only running on two cylinders.  At any
rate, the motor mounts are not intended to deal with that kind of vibration,
so I would work on getting it running properly first (valves, mixture,
timing, carb balance, etc) before worrying about the mounts.

-- Randall