[TR] Tuning TR3 SU Carbs

Wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Tue Aug 16 11:48:11 MDT 2011

Had the same problem this year, turned out that the connecting shaft had
slipped and was holding the rear carb open when everything else appeared to be
closed and in proper order.

Bill

Sent from mobile Bill

On Aug 16, 2011, at 12:25 AM, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net> wrote:

>     My TR3A started idling very fast, about 22-2500 rpms. It had been
running fine. I checked/set the float levels and checked the levels after
running (the same level). I reset the needle (SM's) to make sure they were
seated right and checked centering in the jet. I checked with flow with my
German made flow meter. The forward carburetor airflow can't be slowed down
sufficiently and it idles at about 1300 rpm's when tuning the carbs. The
mixture seems to be set right at that rpms and the engine rev's very well.
I've got the idle/airflow screw on the forward carb screwed out until it is
not touching and the choke fast idle isn't touching the cam. I checked to make
sure that the vacuum advance line hasn't backed out or anything. I visually
looked at the butterfly and it appears to be closed down tight. Everything
appears tightened down, so I don't see where air would be leaking in.
>     I've tuned these many times without much trouble, but this one has got
me stumped.
>     I may spray starter fluid around the intake manifold with the engine
running to see if it speeds up, which would indicate a leak.