[TR] TR4 mirrors - 1

carlsereda carlsereda at aol.com
Tue Aug 9 13:30:07 MDT 2011

Jim,
I am sending you 2 photos. One photo shows 4 pairs of mirror designs
from 1960's. The other photo shows (from my experience) the most
typical dealer installed mirror model and placement on TR4 door.
Although I have collected pairs I have not decided if I will put a
mirror on the passenger door. The mirror on the white TR4 door photo
is the one I've seen most. Originally these mirrors were $2.75 from
aftermarket sportscar accessory vendors and dealers probably charged
10 bucks to install them. At 17 I put 2 bullets above the front wheels
- thought it made my TR4 look like a cute old man with glasses. Now
that I feel like an old man (55) - looks dumb to me, plus they were
almost useless there. Some one else must have thought they looked dumb
too as I found them kicked off one day and on the ground when I had
parked near a college in the late 70's. The 'spring-back' mirrors in
the photos were sold by Amco (and others) and their sales brochure
photo of a TR4 has 2 of them mounted between front wheel well and
windsheild - looks pretty good - but right in the way when bending
over your open engine bay for maintenance. In hindsight (nice pun, eh)
the bullets look too modern to me on an old TR4.. afterall, 'stamped
aluminum grill', pretty low tech looking.. but on a TR4A with all the
upgraded chrome bits and enhanced grill the bullets look pretty good
to me.
Anyone else interested in the 2 photos let me know.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Anyone know the correct mirror setup for an early (CT5212LO) 62 TR4. I
have
seen the mirrors on the fenders, flat round Lucas mirror, and the
bullet
mirror. Looking for a correct one for concours.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Henningsen